Call for Proposals for Collaboration Labs (CoLabs)
The Environmental Resilience Institute (ERI) supports collaborative research and training at the intersection of environmental change and human well-being. Our seed funding opportunities facilitate the cross-disciplinary connections needed to form sustainable collaborations. By actively building a culture of team research we help surface novel research frameworks, theories, models, and applications.
- October 14th, 2019
- March 16th, 2020
- Up to $30,000 for early-stage projects that are developing teams.
- Up to $100,000 for projects with established teams; includes a Post-Doctoral fellow (or the professional equivalent).
- Projects that receive early CoLab funding are eligible in the subsequent proposal round to apply for a Post-doctoral fellow.
CoLab funding provides seed money for research collaborations to connect faculty, postdoctoral fellows, and students working together on problems related to the institute’s mission. We support teams at various stages of development; prior collaboration is not required, and the creation of new partnerships is encouraged. CoLabs have access to the Institute’s communication and outreach efforts to translate research findings to stakeholder groups and decision makers.
Current priorities for ERI funding reflect grand challenges for which UVA has recognized strength, including but not limited to:
- Climate Resilience
- Water and Energy Futures
- Environment and Health
Eligibility and Selection Process
All full-time, PI-eligible faculty can apply. To be considered for a CoLab award, proposals must include faculty participants from at least two different disciplines. Proposals will be reviewed by faculty selected from ERI’s Steering Committee with recommendations for funding made to the Institute Director approximately two weeks from the submission deadline.
Proposals will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Demonstrates alignment with the institute’s mission and has potential for impact on the problem addressed;
- Has the likelihood that the proposed activity will lead to successful external funding;
- Includes a clear plan for building strong transdisciplinary collaborations, enabling new partnerships across schools and, where appropriate, with external stakeholders.
Successful CoLabs will be expected to:
- Work with ERI staff to write a short “Issues in Brief” on their research project geared towards a general audience. This will be shared on the ERI website.
- Prepare a presentation for an ERI related event.
- Submit proposal(s) to external funding agencies for continued support.
Instructions for Submitting an Application
Proposals are limited to 3 pages (excluding references and CVs) and should include the following:
- Title and Abstract (no more than ½ page)
- Research area of focus and relevance to institute’s mission and focus area
- Project team, including brief qualifications of CoLab leader and key faculty collaborators, and how the qualifications put the team in a strong position to make progress on its stated goals. Note any expected student involvement.
- Project description, including research merit, research plan, and anticipated timeline.
- Specific opportunities for external funding, and how the investment of seed money will increase competitiveness of the team.
- Budget and brief justification. Funds can support expenses for equipment, materials and computer time, meetings, graduate or undergraduate student stipends, travel for stakeholder collaborations, and no more than 1 month stipend for faculty leader.
- 2-page CVs for PIs and co-PIs
Please submit proposals as a single PDF document to VPR Limited Submissions. https://virginia.infoready4.com/#competitionDetail/1794713
Applications must be received by COB October 14th, 2019. To apply, click on the “Apply” button at the top right-hand side of the page. You will login to the system using NetBadge. Fill in the lead PI’s name and email address (use the PI’s UVA ID, not an email alias). Enter the proposal title, the list of participating faculty (name and Department), and upload your proposal.
Please contact Jonah Fogel (firstname.lastname@example.org), ERI Program Manager, with questions.